Metabolism is a biochemical process that includes every step by which our body turns the given nutrients (mainly foods) into energy to perform physical activities. Increasing the rate of metabolism is the healthiest way to lose stubborn weight. It is seen that certain yoga poses can inflate the metabolism rate by stimulating your thyroid gland or by increasing heart rate. Today I will talk about 7 such yoga poses that can boost your metabolism and thus helping you to lose some of your unwanted body fat.
Metabolism-Boosting Yoga Poses
1. Bakasana or Crain Pose
For this pose you have to sit in a squatting position. Bend forward and place your upper arms in front of your shin bones. Place your palms on floor some distance apart. Now lift your hips to bring the body weight on toes. Finally shift your body weight on your palms and lift your feet a few inches from the floor.
2. Camatkarasana or Wild-thing Pose
This pose starts from another yoga pose called the down dog pose. Then you have to lift left leg upwards. After that place the left leg in the other side of the right leg and your left hand will point upward and outward over your head.
3. Ardha Chandrasana or Half-moon Pose
To do this pose you should use a yoga block in the beginning. Stand straight with hands straight on each side. Step forward with your left leg and bend your knee a little. Place your right palm on hips. Bend left and put your left palm on floor or on a yoga block in front of the left leg. Keep the right leg parallel to the ground and right arm vertical to the floor.
4. Purvottanasana or Upward Plank Pose
Sit on the floor with both legs straight and joined together. Bend your back backward from the vertical position. Support yourself by placing both of your hands behind your hips. Lift hips from the floor by transferring the whole body weight on your hands and heals. Keep the whole body in a straight line at an angle with the floor. Your arms should be perfectly vertical.
5. Bhekasana or Frog Pose
For this pose you have to lie on your belly with legs wide apart. Bend lower legs at the back of the hips. Clasp the legs with hands stretched backwards. Lift your chest and shoulders as high as you can.
6. Urdhva Dhanurasana or Upward Bow Pose
Lie on your back and keep both feet on the floor. Place your arms on the floor above head. Gaining support from hands and legs lift your torso upward from the floor so that your whole body forms an arch.
7. Prasarita Padottanasana or Wide-Legged Forward Bend
Stand straight with legs far apart. Bend your hips forward and support the upper body by placing both palms on floor. Upper and lower arm should form right angle. Head should rest a few inches above the floor.
These were a few yoga poses that will help you to reduce your excess fat by increasing the rate of metabolism. If you stick to a healthy diet plan along with practicing these poses you will certainly see noticeable changes in a month or two without harming your health.
I would also like to share a few do’s and don’ts that you must abide by, if you decide to try them at home. So let’s begin.
General Guidelines for Metabolism-Boosting Yoga
1. Know your limits: Do not push yourself for more right from the beginning; just go with the flow slowly.
2. Keep your breathing steady: Follow a proper inhale-exhale rhythm before, at the end and in-between any pose. Never hold your breath as it is harmful for your overall health.
3. Do it correctly: Know about the pose and learn the correct way before trying it without a trainer. The effectiveness of any yoga pose depends highly upon its correctness.
4. Take your time: Do not ever do any metabolism boosting yoga in a hurry. Maintain a slow yet constant pace to avoid injuries.
5. Seek medical help if needed: If you have any health issues; take suggestions from your physician before planning for any yoga routine.
Please share your thoughts and experiences if you follow any specific yoga routine. Stay healthy and fit! Goodbye until next time!
Guest post by Sreeparna G.