Guest post by Sreeparna
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or PCOS is a hormonal imbalance in female body that brings irregularity in menstrual cycle. This not only causes infertility but also high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes, heart disease and many more if not taken care of properly. When I was detected PCOS few years earlier my gynaecologist suggested lifestyle changes. Through the years I have enhanced my lifestyle with those teeny tiny changes. I did not try to do all at once. I divided my ultimate aim into smaller achievable goals. Sometimes I failed too. But I never stopped trying. Today I will be sharing some of those tips that I follow. Please read on to know more.
TIPS ON DAILY DIET
1. Do not suddenly change your cuisine. Try to stick to your own cuisine. Just replace unhealthy options with healthier alternatives. If you wish to change cuisine do it gradually.
2. Maintain healthy weight according to your height.
3. Do not skip any meal. I have 2 heavy and 3 light meals. Never ever try crash diets. They can be dangerous for your overall health.
4. Balance carbohydrate, protein and fat in your diet.
5. Include lots of green veggies and fresh fruits in your daily diet instead of bottled juices and processed foods.
6. Have fresh fruits instead of bottled juices and avoid junk foods which have high sugar and salt contents.
7. Drink at least 3 litres of water. Drink water little by little throughout the day.
8. Avoid carbonated soft drinks as much as possible (not even diet versions please!).
9. Take one glass of warm water, squeeze juice of half a lemon into it and drink this concoction every morning in empty stomach. Add a teaspoon of honey or half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to enhance the taste.
10. Try to maintain active lifestyle. Exercising 5 days a week is great.
11. Balance between cardio, abs and strength exercises while making your customised fitness routine.
12. An uninterrupted 8 hours sleep is highly required for physical and mental well-being. It will help you to heal from within and keep you energetic through the whole day.
TIPS ON SKIN CARE
13. Stick to a basic Cleansing-Toning-Moisturizing routine and follow it 2-3 times a day. Do not change skincare products frequently.
14. PCOS makes skin sensitive. So, use mild skincare products specially made for sensitive skin.
15. PCOS also makes skin acne-prone. That is why you need to use non-comedogenic (non pore-clogging) products only. Know about common comedogenic ingredients present in beauty products and avoid them as much as possible.
16. It may change your skin type temporarily. My original skin type is oily. PCOS has made my skin type combination. Make your skincare routine keeping your skin’s needs in mind.
17. PCOS causes unwanted facial and body hair. After your hair removal sessions apply natural aloe vera gel to sooth your skin.
TIPS ON HAIR CARE
18. It is important to have a proper hair care routine. Wash your hair 2-3 times a week and condition well. Homemade DIY hair packs and hot oil treatments can also be tried.
19. PCOS causes major hairfall which can lead to baldness also. So, if you are having major hairfall for sometimes it is better to consult a trichologist.
20. Dandruff is a common problem in PCOS. So, keep your scalp clean by using a mild anti dandruff shampoo. Medicated dandruff treatments can also be used as per physician’s advice.
Those were the tips I follow. I hope these will help you to cope with PCOS. Be stress free and happy. This perhaps is the most important tip of all. Take care!!