Belly fat is a common problem now-a-days. Even after following a proper diet and cardio regimen, it can be very stubborn and not wean off easily. This is not to say that the former two do not play their own significant role in getting you closer to your goal. But what we mean is that following a few ab exercises consistently will help jump start your weightloss from the stubborn belly region as well as tone it up in the process. So if you want to know some of the best ab exercises that you can do, sit tight and read on to know more.
1. Bicycle Crunch: This is a harder variant of the regular crunch exercise in which both of your legs are off the ground at the same time. This exercise helps to reduce belly and thigh fat without using any equipment. It strengthens the abs and hamstring muscle also.
2. Mountain Climber: This is a full body workout. Along with catering to the belly fat problem it also provides the benefits of a cardio exercise. Although this exercise is mainly to tone the quadriceps muscle it works on your abs too. You should do two sets of this workout in a day with 15-20 repetitions in each. Those of you who are used to this exercise may try cross-body mountain climber which is an advanced variant of it.
3. Diagonal Plank: It is a great no-equipment exercise that tones your tummy using your body’s own weight. To master this you need to learn the basic plank exercise first and then move on to this comparatively tougher version. In this exercise hands and legs bear the full body weight. So if you have any previous major hand or leg injuries you should steer clear of this.
Related: What I Learnt From My Weightloss Journey: Practical Tips
4. Russian Twist: This is a great exercise to tone up your flabby upper belly. In this workout your abdomen muscles are twisted to the right and to the left which helps to shed stubborn fat. You can do this training with or without weight. You should be extra careful if you are doing it with weights. Mason twist is an advanced version of this exercise.
Related: Lose Weight in 7 Days: the GM Diet Plan (+Modifications Included)
5. Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation: Surya Namaskar is a combination of 12 stretching and bending exercises for those who want their stomach fat problems all settled in the traditional yoga way. Sun salutation is done in 2 sets. In each set you have to do these 12 poses by altering sides from left to right or vice versa.
6. Skating Windmill: This is again a full body workout that resembles a windmill motion. You will be able to shed some heavy calories with this one. It also increases body flexibility. You should set your target at 20 repetitions for each side.
7. Extended Toe-touch: This is yet again a vertical pose. You have to touch your toe with your palm. This pose comes in two levels of expertise; the beginner level and the advanced level. In the beginner level, you touch your right toe with right while in the advanced level, you have to touch right toe with left hand. The free hand and leg is to be used in balancing the equilibrium of your body.
8. March with Twist: This vertical workout is good for your abs as well as your quadriceps. But you should emphasize on your quads if you want to flatten up your tummy. Keep alternating your feet while doing it. Make each set 60 seconds long but not more than that; this way there is a lesser chances of doing it wrong.
9. Tuck Jump: This is a High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). You need to jump as high as you can and repeat for 2-3 sets with 5-10 seconds of interval. It strengthens your lower body and core which is why it is a great weight loss workout idea. Please stay away from it if you have any previous leg injury because in this exercise our legs have to bear the whole body weight plus gravity when we land after jumping.
10. Wood Chopper: This exercise is no doubt the best exercise for beginners as well as intermediate level people to tone the body and get rid of stubborn belly fat. It is a strength building workout and can be done in your home with just a medicine ball.
These were a few ab exercises to help you get rid of the stubborn belly fat. Choose your favourites from them and try them for at least 4 weeks to see noticeable differences. Do not do the same exercise for more than 4-5 weeks at a stretch or your body may get used to it. Replace one workout with another of the same kind for maximum benefit. Another thing I want to tell you here is that not every exercise is for everyone so consult a registered practitioner before trying out anything new to avoid any health issues.
Have you tried any ab exercise? Please share your experience if you have and your thoughts as well in the comments below.
Guest post by Sreeparna G.
Image Courtesy: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Related: 6 Healthy Weightloss Drinks To Kickstart Your Metabolism
Related: 7 Basic Yoga Asanas To Boost Metabolism and Burn Fat
Related: Diet and Fitness Tips From 8 Bollywood Celebrities
Related: 20 Easy Lifestyle Changes You Need to Do Right Now If You have PCOS