We all have our own favourites ways and tools when it comes to a winged eyeliner. And while there is no one specific way to do it right, there are a few universal tips and tricks that can help you get that perfect eyeliner everytime. I learnt these when I struggled to draw a decent line and I’ll be sharing them with you all today. So here goes..
1. Use Small Strokes: Working your way in increments/ smaller strokes initially instead of applying the eyeliner in one big go gives you much more control. This way you are less likely to create a blunder as compared to when using one single stroke. After you are finished with the initial application, you can always go over and correct any rickety lines later.
2. Blink Often: Make sure you stop and blink frequently: Doing it intentionally and frequently will prevent any unintentional/ arbitrary blinking in the middle of the application which could ruin your eyeliner.
3. Use a Light Hand Initially: If you have trouble balancing the angle of the wings on both the eyes, try this. The next time you are applying your winged eyeliner, make a small dim outline of the wing at the outer corners of both the eyes (as shown in the picture below) and check them to see if they have an even angle at this stage. Because the lines are faint at this stage, it is much easier to correct them. You can also use a black eyeshadow in place of your eyeliner for this step to control and correct any mistakes at this step even more.
4. Use a Black Eyeshadow to Lay the Foundation: You can use a black eyeshadow to mark the outline prior to your liquid/ gel eyeliner application. Since it is a powder eyeshadow you are experimenting with, its much easier to correct any mistakes. Once you are done, you can go over it with your liquid/ gel eyeliner.
5. Rest Your Hand: Make sure you rest your elbow on a firm base before you start applying your eyeliner. Not resting your elbow is one of the worst mistakes you can make while applying your eyeliner, esp. if you are a beginner. Resting the elbow gives your hand the stability and avoids any jerky movements.
6. Use a Guide: Ideally, your wing should be an extension of your lower lash line. So when you apply your eyeliner, imagine a line extending from your lower lash line as guide to where your wing should be. If you have trouble imagining it, use a spoon, a cellotape or a business/ shopping card for this purpose.
7. Finish With The Eyeshadow: Sometimes, you can do all there is for a perfect line but still end up with mistakes. That’s when this trick comes handy. Take a black eyeshadow and with an angled brush, go over the eyeliner. This will correct any mistakes or ricketiness along the way. Plus it will give a matte finish to your eyeliner, if you’re a fan of that look. If you’re not, well, atleast its better than going around with a crooked eyeliner. Isn’t it?
8. Cover It Up: To correct any mistakes in the wing, use a tiny bit of concealer on a very precise brush and go over any mistakes you want to correct with it. You can use an angled brush or a small lip brush for this. An even better alternative is to always keep a concealer pencil (like the NYX Wonder Pencil) with you and use that in place of the eyeliner.
I hope these tips help you the next time you’re creating your desired eyeliner! Do you have any favourite tips when you apply a liquid/gel eyeliner? Share in the comments below.
I don’t have any tips but resting the elbow I never followed. My right eye liner will be fine. Left one always messes up. Am not fond of winged liner though!
Thank you for posting the tips!
I can never get my winged eyeliner perfect… would try out these techniques!
Lovely Informative Post 🙂 Great EOTD
I am definitely trying out these techniques. 🙂
love the tips gal 🙂
awesome post girl…i always mess up my wing eyeliner…vl try thiese tips…thanks for sharing!
beautiful eyes.. awesome tips..
Hi Komal! I love how perfectly you apply eyeliner everytime, I need to learn it this way now !
lovely tips!!!definitely going to try these tips because i love winged eyeliner..gorgeous eyes 🙂
You are a pro and I am in serious love with your eye makeup darling. I secretly wish everyday you share any of your eye makeup tutorial 😀
Awww thank you love!!! Means a lot 🙂 🙂 🙂
That’s really good tips and I am going to try and hopefully able to make a perfect winged line 🙂 Btw which eyeshadow are you wearing? It looks lovely and imparting a very neat and fresh look to the eyes.
Hey Madhur! Thank you 🙂 I’m actually not wearing a lot in these pictures. Just my MAC Prolongwear Concealer set with a white matte eyeshadow from Revlon. It doesn’t have much pigmentation and the sheerness actually works wonderfully in bringing out the eyes.
Okay. I thought you were wearing flesh toned eyeshadow. Actually I am looking for one. I haven’t ever applied concealer on upper eye lid, just used powder but now I am going to duplicate the look the way you mentioned. Thanks 🙂
Nice tips 🙂
Wonderful tips 😀
Thanks for sharing
Thanks a lot hun! I’m glad you liked them 🙂
Those are some great tips, especially #4